Baked in a skillet, this upside-down cake is simple and beautiful. Though a bit rustic-looking, it tastes delicious with some whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. You can also add some more fresh fruit on top if you would like.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 lemon – juice and zest
- 1 1/2 cups berries of your choice
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the skillet, with the tablespoon of butter in it, in the oven to warm.
- Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Make a well in the flour.
- Add eggs, breaking the yolks, buttermilk, honey, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Mix together, then incorporate into the flour, adding in the lemon zest.
- Take a skillet from the oven and spread berries out over the pan.
- Spread batter over the berries.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick can be stuck in the cake and come out clean.
- Turn the cake upside-down onto a large platter or cake plate.
- Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt, or additional berries.