When is cake an acceptable breakfast choice?
When a cake is loaded with cranberries, Ricotta Cheese, and Greek Yogurt. Thanks to the Ricotta and yogurt, this pound cake-type recipe is super moist. It’s super flavorful thanks to the cranberry and orange. Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
I also included instructions on how to make this gluten-free. Often, the problem with gluten-free baking is that it’s either dry and crumbly or half-baked and mushy in the center. This came out perfectly with just a couple of easy alterations. See the * below.
Cranberry Orange Ricotta Cake
- 2 cups flour*
- 2 tsp. baking powder*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- zest and juice from one orange (2 tsp. orange zest and 1/4 cup orange juice)
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey (or your choice of sweetener)
- 2 cups cranberries
*Use 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour in place of the 2 cups regular flour and add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter.
- Mix dry ingredients, leaving out cranberries.
- Add in eggs, Ricotta, yogurt, orange juice, and maple syrup. Mix cranberries in last.
- Pour into buttered loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on the oven until the cake starts pulling away from the edge of the pan and you can stick a knife in the center and it comes out clean.