These carrot cake cupcakes made with rye flour, but you could easily make them with all all-purpose flour. I just like a little extra nuttiness from the rye.
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 cup raisins
- Juice of two oranges
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flours, spices, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla, sour cream, and milk.
- Mix the flours in, stir.
- Add raisins, pecans, carrots and orange juice. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into cupcake papers or muffin tin. I found a baking mold with egg shapes.
- Bake until cooked through, about 35 minutes. Allow cooling.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of two oranges
- Food coloring (optional)
- While the carrot cake cupcakes cool, mix your cream cheese frosting.
- Using a hand mixer, blend cream cheese, cream, vanilla, powdered sugar, and zest.
- If using food coloring, divide into small bowls and mix with a few drops of the desired color.
- Frost cupcakes as artistically as possible.